- INSTRUCTIONAL STRATEGIES: Teaching to the students needs and interests is something that I strongly believe in. I try to use creative instructional strategies that the students will have fun with.
These models were something that I used in University as a way to spark students interest with a variety of instructional strategies.
Here are some from this model that I use in my classroom:
- Assigned Questions
- Open Discussion
- Cooperative Learning- pairs, small and large groups
- Role Play/skits
- Research Report
- Model building
- Project work
- Concept mapping
- cut and glue activities
2. ENGAGEMENT: I strongly believe that engaging students is so critical. Here are some ways that I have engaged students in my teaching:
- experimentsthis particular experiment that we did was all about the human brain! We have been learning about the brain in health, I then created jello brains and the students had to “operate” on the brains.
- relating content to their lives
- games (add pictures of phonics, etc).
- having fun (I love to get my students excited about a topic by showing them how excited I am about that topic)
- get them moving through songs and dances (ex. vowel song, the music show, Jack Hartmans subitize.
- Working with hands on materials (here is an example of my kindergarten students working with letters to learn cvc words.
- Art (drawing, painting, using playdoh etc.)